Dog walkers are being warned to be vigilant after pieces of raw chicken with safety pins attached were left on a playing field in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.
A local dog walker became concerned after her four-year-old dog ate some of the fresh, raw meat which was found on Dryclough Recreation Ground, Crosland Moor, Huddersfield. The dog walker has taken to Facebook to warn other dog owners in the area to be extra vigilant.
Police said they had received several reports in recent months of poisoned, or tampered with, meat left in popular dog-walking areas. Last month bran flakes thought to have been laced with rat poison were eaten by a dog in Guiseley and sausages laced with nails were reported at a site in Oldham.
West Yorkshire Police have advised anyone affected to take their pet to a vet.