The BSAVA Mentoring Programme aims to offer support to 2nd and 3rd year qualified members as they work more independently and with greater responsibility and ownership. It is intended to help those in the early stages of their career to fulfil their potential and enjoy their work. It also provides experienced vets with the opportunity to develop their leadership skills and help support the profession into the future.
Experienced practitioners, who are willing to give their time and energy to the professional development of another vet, will be matched up with 2nd and 3rd years who feel they would benefit from this sort of support and challenge.
During 2018 we will be running a pilot programme, consisting of two cohorts each of 12 mentors and 12 mentees, one beginning in June and the other in September. For the pilot, progress reviews will take place after three, six and nine months to ascertain the success of the programme and make any adjustments that may be necessary before launching the ongoing programme.
Training will be provided for both mentors and mentees and ongoing support will be available. It will be essential that both mentors and mentees complete the training and are committed to putting aside time to meet.
Benefits for Mentees
- Provides a confidential, listening ear from someone who ‘has been there’
- Offers personalised support as your level of responsibility increases
- Helps to build your confidence and increase your job satisfaction
- Challenges your thinking and mind set in a constructive way
- Offers a wider perspective on professional challenges and the profession in general
- Provides an opportunity for personal and professional growth
Benefits for Mentors
- Offers the chance to contribute to the ongoing development of the veterinary profession
- Stay up-to-date with the current interests, concerns and challenges facing vets early in their career
- Develop mentoring skills such as listening, asking questions, providing feedback and offering support
- Giving back to the profession you love
The mentorship programme is available to members only.