16 September 2017 10:30 - 16 September 2017 16:30
Microscopy and cytology in skin disease
Sparsholt College Hampshire, Westley Lane, Sparsholt Hampshire, SO21 2NF
The course will cover the practical and theoretical skills needed to readily accomplish accurate cytological evaluation of skin samples in general practice. Parasites identification will also be covered. Particular emphasis will be given to the correct use of the microscope and stains, allowing candidates to further develop their skills after the course.
The morning will introduce concepts and theory and discuss a wide range of cytological conditions. In the afternoon a practical session will introduce candidate to a wide variety of well-prepared materials as well as allowing candidates to practice smear creation and staining of slides and to see common faults.
This course will cover:
• Learn how to use a microscope properly – all the things you forgot or never knew!
• Is it pemphigus or pyoderma – can you tell the difference?
• Be confident in your microscopic diagnoses, but know when to resample or send for review to a specialist
• Bacteria, granules or stain debris, cells or parasites? – improve your skills to improve your patient care and enjoyment of dermatology
1. Understand the function and necessary adjustments of the various parts of a modern binocular microscope and be able to perform these on a variety of microscopes
2. Understand the staining process for cytology using modified Romanowsky stains
3. Know the list of mounting liquids for skin scraping and parasite evaluation and how to choose the best for the situation
4. To be able to differentiate common inflammatory cells from each other
5. To be able to identify epithelial cells, round cells and mesenchymal cells and understand the limitations of cytological evaluation and when biopsy or referral to a specialist is likely to be required
6. Know the relative specificity and sensitivity of the tests discussed
7. Know the role of rapid cytological diagnosis in good antibiotic stewardship
This meeting is kindly sponsored by Vetruus
Speaker: Stephen Shaw BVetMed PhD DVD MRCVS
This course is intended for Veterinary Surgeons and Veterinary Nurses.
Terms and Conditions: All courses must be paid for in full at the time of booking.
To qualify for an applicable refund, cancellations must emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or requested by telephone on 01452 726700. With over 30 days’ notice we will refund 70% of the course fee. With between 15-30 days’ notice we will refund 50% of the course fee. No refunds will be provided for cancellations with notice of 14 days or less, however if we are able to resell your place on the course we will provide a full refund.
BSAVA reserves the right to alter the programme or the speaker should this become necessary due to unavoidable circumstances. BSAVA reserves the right to cancel a course due to unforeseen circumstances. Registrants should note that the BSAVA member's rate applies only when the person attending the course is a member of the Association. To qualify for the reduced member's rate for courses, non-members must join BSAVA prior to the course.